Monday 13 June 2011

Good question

I felt I had to reply to a reader’s comment. They asked - What do you do when you don't feel like writing but know you should? This is where I have problems.

What a great question. Sometimes I give in to the feeling and go for a walk, or work in the garden. Other times I write things that are easier for me, such as fillers (tips and letters to magazines) or work on my column. For me, non fiction is easier as I know what’s going to happen. Something else I do is free writing. I just sit down and write, not stopping to think or correct or edit. The result might be meaningless or turn into a moan, but sometimes a grain of a story appears. Another thing you can do is set a specific time for writing and stick to it. It’s often easy to do something else, or persuade yourself that you’re not in the mood but if you really want to write, you will do it.
I hope this helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment