Thursday 10 March 2011

High Winds, Rummikub and My weekly


The wind has been horrible today. It frightens me as I know how much damage it can cause. Went to the hairdressers this morning which isn’t something I do very  often. I have an aversion to hairdressers, largely thanks to my mother forcing me to be a model for trainees to ‘practice’ on when I was 11. I HATED it.
Afterwards I headed to Good Neighbours where I’ve been volunteering for almost two years. I help set up the tables and chairs and put out the games and the tea trolley then play or teach people to play various  games like Rummikub and Scrabble, or if I’m unlucky endless games of dominoes.
Wednesdays and Thursdays are my unofficial days off as I work weekends but before I left this morning I managed to squeeze in a couple of hours work. It was time to send my March submission to my Weekly. Being limited to just one sub a month makes it very hard to choose which story to send, but I mustn’t complain. They don’t even look at submissions from writers they’ve never published. I think that’s crazy and unfair to their readers, but don’t tell them I said that.
I’ve just fended some calls from Mum. Every time it’s the same – can she come and stay – yes – how do I get there – I explain – can I really come and stay – yes – and so on, round and round in an endless loop. Five minutes later, she calls again and asks the same thing.
One of the dogs had another ‘accident’ tonight. I’m wondering if she does it on purpose if she’s not getting enough attention. I was out most of the day and I’m not sure John, that’s my lodger, took enough notice of her. The way the wind is blowing the rugs should dry pretty quickly!
I’m going to Kath’s tonight. She’s in her eighties but as bright as a diamond. We’ll have some wine and a natter and I can pretend to be human again, if only for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment