Saturday, 12 January 2013

I have no idea what to do (as usual)

My talk to North Leeds Friendship Centre went very well indeed. I was nervous beforehand (as always) but once I’d started it was fine.
I’d decided to test myself. Instead of the usual comprehensive notes, all I had was a list of headings and some pages of fillers. Doing a talk without notes actually felt easier than WITH notes as I didn’t need to keep checking where I was and could go ‘with the flow’. It’s a greta feeling when an audience responds positively. I had thought about not doing talks anymore but yesterday’s experience has changed my maind. I wont seek them out, but if any opportunities come along, I won’t turn them down.
I came home to a message from the estate agent I’m buying the bungalow through. It was too late to get back to them so  I had to wait until this morning. Apparently, and this is the first I’ve heard of it, there’s a problem with the loft conversion.
The vendor doesn’t know when it was done and doesn’t want to apply to the building regularisation people. Having looked into it on line, I can’t say I blame her.
The problem of course is that, once again, I don’t know what to do.
I’ve just browsed the web and found out that there should be a different type of velux window, one that opens fully, so that people can escape through it in case of fire. The one in the bungalow now only opens part way.
A while ago I’d decided not to move, to buy the bungalow and rent it out, then somebody made an offer to buy my house and I wavered. This morning, brilliant timing as always, they increased the offer.
I’d been talking myself into selling the house saying that due to the size of the garden it would be a hard sell and that I should take an offer if it was high enough, but I bought the house BECAUSE of the garden. It was the depression that made it so much of a burden. So what do I do now? Do I use this problem with the bungalow to withdraw? I can then buy a cheaper place to rent out, and stay here. That will give me time to figure out what the hell I’m doing with my life.
I honestly have no idea what I want. How sad is that? I can’t even talk to John as he’s out on ANOTHER date.


  1. If I was considering purchasing a property and there was any doubt as to the legality of a loft conversion, be that in relation to either planning permission or building regulations, then I would only proceed after the situation had been clarified by the vendor with copies of the necessary legal documents. Any property that is being sold with a loft conversion included in the habitable rooms (reception room, bedroom or study) then I believe if must comply with building regulations. This would be even more important if it was to be offered as a rental property. In a buyers market the purchaser is the controller. Just a thought.

  2. Gosh what a palava you are having Linda! I agree with Elliot, Building Regs are a nightmare. As someone who works for a local council I know! If you are unsure as to the legal situation you could always have a word with a BC Officer yourself. They are quite helpful (normally). The only other thing I could suggest is that YOU rent for a while. If you go ahead and sell your bungalow (which seemingly is too much for you)and then you rent of 6-12 months yourself, this could give you the much needed space to find the most suitable home for you. It also gives you the flexibility to look for homes in other areas too, if that is also on your wish list! This method worked for me and the DH; we sold, and rented for about a year until we were absoltely sure that the house we now live in was "the one". Sorry for the rambling, but I know how stressful moving house is! (Done it 8 times in 13 years!) Caroline x