Friday 1 June 2012

Washing up can be fun



I set out this morning intending to go through the box of probate paperwork and start filling in some forms, ready for when I have the grant of probate. As I did this, I realised I hadn’t heard from the Halifax, so I rang and asked what was going on. Answer, nothing. Then they said I could go into the local branch with proof of ID and close Mum’s account and get a cheque. Why they didn’t tell me that when I went into the branch on the 9th of May, I have no idea.
By this time the gardeners had arrived to finish off the job they’d left undone.  Once they were settled, I went to the local Halifax and this time they let me close the account and gave me a cheque. It’s all very confusing and, I admit, a little annoying as if they’d let me do that when I first went in, I would not have had to take out a large chunk of my ISA to pay the care home fees.
It also makes you wonder why Barclays and Nationwide can’t do the same, especially as they’re the people I actually bank with. It’s all such a muddle.
When I got back home, I wrote a letter to Mum’s doctor asking him to put what he’d told me on the phone yesterday in writing. (Note to Jacula – it’s not a probate problem I have her, it’s all bound up with the power of attorney question.) I also wrote another letter to the solicitor, repeating what I’d said in my email and asking for future correspondence to be done by post.
Now I have to wait, again, to see how they respond. If I’m not happy then, next step is either the Ombudsman or Watchdog.
At 2.45, the gardeners having, finally finished, I went to Good Neighbours where they were putting on a Jubilee party for 150 older people. My job, to do the washing up. This is going to sound perverse, but it was great fun. I love boring, mundane repetitive jobs. When you get into the rhythm you can make the work seem like a game.
They’re a lovely bunch of people there and for me, it’s always a pleasure to feel needed  That’s part of what’s missing in my life – that sense of purpose. One day, I’ll go back to doing more voluntary work, but I don’t want to commit myself until I’ve made up my mind where I‘m going with my life.
The odd thing at the moment is that things that wouldn’t normally tire me out, like a trip to the building society or filling in a form, knock me for six. All my plans to catch up on a few odd jobs have flown out of the window. I’m glad this be– nice–to–Linda phase is due to end by the 28th (please, Universe!).

No comments:

Post a Comment